Established in 1905 and restored in 2013
In the mid-1800’s, the villages of East Haddam began bustling with new residents and businesses. Among those entrepreneurs was our fearless founder, Lee Luther Brockway who established the Hadlyme Country Market on Brockway Ferry Road to accommodate those traveling by steam ships and ferries. In his day the market was all about hospitality and bringing the community together for food and lively discussion. Around the turn of the century, Lee knew that times were changing as new roads were being built not too far from his store’s location – he could tell that boats were OUT and cars were IN. Ever the trendsetter, in 1905 he moved the market to its current location on the corner of Ferry Road (a.k.a. Route 148) and Norwich-Salem Road (Route 82).
Flash forward to the 1980’s when Lisa Bakoledis moved to Hadlyme and began working at the Hadlyme County Market and Store. Lisa could see the Market’s potential and in 2012, with Susan Raible Birch, made a dream into a reality. Today the Hadlyme Market provides quality food and gifts using the best and local vendors, in a congenial old fashioned atmosphere where the community congregates. Lisa and Susan remind us to slow down, enjoy the coffee and make time for our neighbors. Hopefully just like our roots. We invite you to decide for yourself. Come on by to say hi.